HISTORIC A7 OLD TWEED BRIDGE SET FOR EXTENSIVE PROGRAMME OF REPAIRS
A maintenance scheme is currently underway to restore the historic Old Tweed Bridge at the A7 between Galashiels and Selkirk. The repair work is expected to take up to sixteen months to complete.
The bridge, which was opened by Sir Walter Scott in 1832, is still used as a footpath and cycle-way but traffic now uses the nearby A7 to cross the river. The work is essential to ensure the future of the 184 year old structure.
During the work, the existing bridge infill will be removed, the masonry walls of the bridge will be taken down and rebuilt plum and a concrete saddle will be cast above the masonry arches which will then be waterproofed and the road resurfaced above, a before being re-opened to the public. The Works also require the installation of an extensive temporary propping and encapsulation structure underneath and around the bridge.
The work requires a full closure of the bridge with a diversion route in place for cyclists and foot travellers. The diversion route will follow the footpath beside the A7
The work has been planned in consultation with Transport Scotland, Scottish Borders Council, Scottish Environmental Protection Agency (SEPA),Scottish National Heritage (SNH) and the River Tweed Commissioners.